Friday, August 28, 2009

Tomato Season

Tomato season in my kitchen began this week. It's a bit late, but we've had a cool summer here in Wisconsin and tomatoes are slow to ripen. Local farmers markets have been selling 'maters since July, but they're expensive. (I paid $1.75 for one large tomato a few weeks ago.)

I prefer to buy tomatoes from pick-your-own farms in the Milwaukee suburbs of Mequon and Cedarburg. Last weekend I picked a few pounds of disappointingly green tomatoes at "R" Apples in Mequon for about 60 cents a pound.

The cashier reassured me that my pickings would ripen if I kept them for a few days in a brown paper bag. He was right. The tomatoes never quite developed that bright, farmers-market red, but they were still pretty tasty. I snapped the above photo a day after picking.

Later in the season, when tomatoes are more plentiful, I might make ratatouille or tomatoes stuffed with lamb and rice. For now, I'm satisfied with thinly sliced tomatoes generously topped with red onion rounds and a sprinkle of kosher salt.

"R" Apples
12246 N. Farmdale Rd., Mequon
Phone: (262) 242-0669

6 comments:

Rozmin said...

The pick your own farm sounds pretty cool. My sister just moved to Milwaukee, I'm going to let her know about this. Thanks!

Mrs. M. said...

Rozmin--You can make a day (well, maybe an afternoon) out of picking your own fruits, veggies, berries, etc. Strawberries in June, raspberries in July, tomatoes in August, etc.

Anna said...

Witte's should have them soon, if not this upcoming weekend. Their farm stand had them last week, but "pick your own". Can't wait till they're ripe and ready for the picking.

Lo said...

Our gardent tomatoes are ripening -- but you're right, it's slow going!

I've never done a U-pick for tomatoes. Thanks for the great resource. During a good year, I like to roast and freeze tomatoes to use during the winter months... but I'm not sure what the crop is going to be like this year.

Mrs. M. said...

Anna-I'd like to try Witte's tomatoes. I wonder if they have different varieties.

Lo-The wait for tomatoes this year has been interminable! I really like roasting and freezing tomatoes, too. Even mediocre tomatoes are great roasted.

adele said...

I've been eating sliced tomatoes with garlicky pesto, but I think we're on the same page with this one. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails