Sunday, February 15, 2009

Chicken Stuffed with Crepes

This is what I made for Valentine's Day dinner:

I know you're thinking, "The hell?" Hear me out. For months, a certain someone has been telling me that his parents make roast chicken and turkey stuffed with crepes.

Could I make him some chicken with crepes? I thought this sounded beyond weird; so I pretty much dismissed his requests. One day, I tasted his mom's chicken stuffed with crepes. The chicken itself was fine, but it was the crepes, rich and soaked in delicious chicken juices, that made it so memorable.

What better time to stuff a chicken with crepes than Valentine's Day? This was to be my gift. Truth is, I don’t know exactly how his parents cook this sort of thing, and there’s little chance of getting step-by-step directions from them. So I decided to keep it simple. I made a bunch of crepes, stuffed them into a chicken, sewed up the cavity, and roasted the chicken like I always do.

How was it? The chicken was all right but the crepes were a bit dry. I suspect that I either roasted the chicken too long or didn’t use enough oil when frying the crepes. The certain someone later told me that you're supposed to shred the crepes before stuffing the chicken. Well, thanks for letting me know after the chicken was out of the oven. Still, this was a pretty good dinner, especially when I served the crepes with gobs of sour cream.

If you think chicken with crepes sounds strange, check out this recipe (in Russian, but with photos) for a deboned chicken stuffed with stuffed crepes. Someday I will make this.

11 comments:

Rozmin said...

The chicken stuffed with stuffed crepes sort of blows the mind ... reminds me of one of those pictures within a picture within a picture. Like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Droste.jpg

Torn crepes in a chicken are an interesting idea. It does seem strange, but I guess it's just a variety on other types of bread stuffing. It's so funny how your boyfriend didn't tell you until the chicken was already done! :-D Mine does stuff like that too, I guess they all do.

Mishka said...

Rozmin Hey – don’t make fun of the my family recipe :-)

Rozmin said...

Mishka: I guess I had better try it before I talk, huh? :-)

Mrs. M. said...

Rozmin--My chicken wasn't really like the picture within the picture. It was just a chicken with a bunch of crepes hanging out.

Anonymous said...

I guess it's not so strange when you consider that you scoop up Ethiopian soups and stews with crepes. Yum!

I often make pot roast (zharkoye) in a crock pot and I wonder if it would taste good to layer crepes underneath it all before slow cooking. Do you think the crepes will fall apart after 6 hours?

Anonymous said...

That's definitely a unique stuffing idea. I've heard of crepes stuffed with chicken, but never the other way around.
But I guess stuffed chickens are on the forefront of our thoughts. I've been meaning to make one stuffed with mushroom rice. Haven't made that in ages, so I really should give it another try.

Mrs. M. said...

Julie--That's an interesting idea, but I do think the crepes would fall apart after all that cooking. Mine were in the oven for a little more than an hour for the chicken.

Anna-Chicken with mushroom rice sounds really good, and would probably turn out better than my chicken with crepes!

adele said...

Oh, that's brilliant. Sometimes I wonder if a roast chicken isn't just a container for the preparation of stuffing and gravy. :)

Mrs. M. said...

Adele--This is the first time I've made anything like stuffing! It wasn't really successful, but I may try something like this again.

Mishka said...

Yulinka – It wasn’t really successful? But you ate it and you enjoyed it  I ate it, and I enjoyed it. How else would you qualify something as successful?

James said...

This is looking my delicious. I like very much this item.

Related Posts with Thumbnails