Monday, April 03, 2006

Blinchiki (Filled crepes)

Family lore has it that I had no appetite as a child. True, but I certainly remember enthusiastically scarfing blini--also known as crepes. (Buckwheat blini made with yeast are probably better known in the U.S. than in Russia.)

My grandmother would sometimes make a batch of blini for me, which I would condescend to eat. When I was growing up, my mom made these on weekend morning when she was in the mood to cook. I still like blini for breakfast with jam and other sweet stuff, but they also make a good dinner when filled with a savory filling (filled blini are called blinchiki).

When you have boring, banal leftover chicken in the fridge, keep this in mind.

For blini, I whisked 2 eggs with 1 cup of milk, 1 teaspoon sugar and a dash of salt. I added 1 cup of flour gradually, whisking after each addition, and then two tablespoons of melted butter. You're supposed to let the batter stand for 30 minutes, but I've been known not to. Without any problems.

Filling: Saute two small onions, a grated carrot, a handful of chopped parsley, two cups of cooked chicken, cubed. I made a valiant attempt at my first veloute sauce by melting some butter in a small saucepan and adding some flour, then milk and chicken stock. I added this to the chicken mixture, along with some grated Swiss cheese. My veloute may have been laughably amateurish, but the filling was very good.

Then I made the blini*, stuffed with the filling, and served with sour cream. The batter is enough for 10 or so crepes, but I mucked up and tore a couple while frying. (I ate the scraps for dessert, with leftover tvorog and a sprinkle of sugar. Impromptu blintzes!)

*This is a good guide to making crepes.

2 comments:

Tim said...

I thought I should let you know that a flour/butter combo (also known as a roux) mixed with milk is a bechamel. When mixed with white stock, such as chicken, veal, or fish stock, it becomes a veloute. Now, a mixture of stock and milk... I'm not sure what that is called, but it sounds delicious. I know a sauce supreme is veloute with heavy cream. So, technically you can call that a sauce supreme.

P.S. Awesome blog. I'm going to make kasha now.

Tracie W Denga said...

Ketchup: It's a white sauce or béchamel.

Related Posts with Thumbnails