Sunday, August 10, 2008

Braised Cabbage

Enough with the melancholy; let’s talk cabbage. I’ve been craving something cabbage-y ever since I had a lunch of coleslaw and fried potatoes back in Tallinn. It’s been cooler here in Wisconsin; so I went with braising-—a surefire way to make cabbage mild, rich and almost dip-like. This recipe, which I made up as I went along, was good with grilled chicken and even better on its own the next day.

In a large plan, I sautéed a chopped onion and some diced bacon in a splash of olive oil on high heat until the onion was soft and translucent, about 6 or 7 minutes. Deglazed with some marsala wine, and added a whole head of shredded cabbage, stirring it often. Then another good splash of marsala and white wine (about ¾ cup altogether), since I had two open bottles that I wanted to finish up.

Sautéed on high heat until the cabbage cooked down, which only took 10 minutes or so, and added kosher salt, a bit of paprika and a bay leaf. Turned down the heat to low, covered the pan, and let the cabbage cook another 30 minutes. About 10 minutes before it was done, added about 5 ounces of chopped ham and a couple of ounces of yogurt cheese (available at Russian groceries, but all kinds of cheese will work here, especially Parmesan, goat and feta). Topped with chopped scallions for serving.


adele said...

This reminds me a little of a bacon and cabbage dish my grandmother makes. As a kid, I had a bad habit of stealing all the little bits of bacon. :)

raiuchka said...

Oh yum, I love braised cabbage. When I lived in Crimea my best friend (she's Russian) made it all the time -- we practically lived on it, along with beans w/ sunflower oil and garlic -- and I've never been able to get it to taste quite right. I'll try your version!

I am really enjoying your blog!

Yulinka said...

Adele--I plucked much of the ham out while I was cooking this thing.

Raiuchka--Glad you like the blog! Cabbage and beans prepared with sunflower oil and garlic sounds delish to me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails