Saturday, December 22, 2007

Food blogs that should exist, but don’t

Looking for a unique food blog theme? With more than 40,000 food blogs out there, a theme or a niche is a good idea. Plenty of bloggers take nice pictures and post good recipes, but there’s nothing that really distinguishes them from thousands of other foodies. Most big bloggers have some sort of a theme: Amateur Gourmet, self-explanatory; Chocolate and Zucchini, cooking and eating in Paris ; Gluten-Free Girl, learning to live and cook sans wheat. Even this little blog was more successful when I followed my Russian cooking theme. Believe it or not, people come here for the tvorog and eggplant caviar recipes, not for my sallies on kitchen economics.

I'm offering the following food blog ideas for budding bloggers. Don't thank me; the pleasure is all mine. (I wouldn't be surprised if these blogs were already around, though. Let me know if they are.)

Dinner and a movie: A foodie film buff reviews movies and writes about food.

Testing the American Test Kitchen’s recipes: Just like the Wednesday Chef tests recipes published in the New York Times and the LA Times, I’d like to see a blog that reviews recipes from America's Test Kitchen's Cook's Illustrated. (This is the magazine devoted to developing the “best” recipe for everything.) Nearly every recipe they come up with has some sort of gimmick or trick to it—do these really work?

Poor foodie: There used to be a good blog, Frugal Foodie, about cooking on the cheap. Unfortunately, it hasn’t been updated since last February. Won’t someone take over?

CRON foodie: Cooking good food on the calorie restriction/optimal nutrition diet (cron). Most cronies eat pretty miserable food: raw kale salads, fat-free cheese. It doesn’t have to be this way—Kalyn and Fat-Free Vegan make tasty-looking, healthy food. I’d like to see this type of blog with a cron bent.

Soup blog: All soup, all the time. This blog has to be out there. Please point me to it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't see why you can't keep up your soup leanings... :-)

Ann

Mrs. M. said...

Ann--I'd blog about soup but I haven't made anything interesting lately. I need a soup blog to inspire me. :)

the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

I cannot commit to keeping up with America's Test Kitchen, but I did try the vodka piecrust
It is indeed much easier to roll.

Mrs. M. said...

Chocolate lady--That's good to know. I admire what America's Test Kitchen is trying to do, but I've only followed one of their recipes to the letter (French onion soup), and it didn't turn out well. So I have my doubts about their tips and tricks.

enemy mine said...

wow! I just started a blog called poor foodie!! I googled the name and found your post. Please check it out! I only have two posts so far...

http:poorfoodie.wordress.com

enemy mine said...

sorry, thats
http://poorfoodie.wordpress.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails