Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Roasted Cherry Tomatoes

I roasted a lackluster pint of cherry tomatoes back in December and haven't felt like eating fresh tomatoes ever since. Roasting brings out the sweet, rich flavor that these little buggers just don't have in the winter. I bet I'll still be blitzing them in the oven in the middle of August.

I toss them in salads, pasta, eggs and sandwiches. I made a nice tomato spread, inspired by Chocolate and Zucchini's pesto rouge. (Throw roasted tomatoes in a food processor with some garlic, chopped parsley, parmesan and olive oil. Whirr around a bit. Eat with good toasted bread.) My boyfriend and I have eaten them right out of the roasting pan and licked the spoons.

You should do the same. Preheat the oven to 425. Place as many cherry tomatoes as you want in a foil-lined baking pan. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar; sprinkle on salt, pepper and a little sugar if your tomatoes are very tart. Sometimes I'll toss in a couple of garlic cloves. Roast for 30 minutes or so.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails