Saturday, March 21, 2009

Weekend Eats

*I kicked off the grilling season a few weeks ago. Yes, the weather isn't getting much warmer than 55 degrees around these parts, but we stubbornly huddle around the grill in our winter coats. I like grilling vegetables, especially eggplant, bell peppers, onions and tomatoes.

I slice everything into rounds, toss them on the grill, and cook about 15 minutes, flipping the veggies often. When the vegetables are done and everything's cool enough to handle, I slice the eggplant and peppers into strips, toss them in a bowl with the tomatoes and onion rounds, and add chopped parsley, minced olives, cubed mozarella, a bit of olive oil and a splash of red wine vinegar. This salad is good as a relish, but I often end up eating it out of the bowl with a tablespoon.

*I rarely find myself on Milwaukee's south side, but last weekend I took a drive to A&J Polish Deli, 1215 W. Lincoln Ave. It looked just like the Russian groceries on Milwaukee's North Shore. The two exceptions were Polish-speaking clerks and a great selection of cheese, deli meats, sausage (including kielbasa that's very good on the grill).

4 comments:

adele said...

Grilling already? Damn. That's dedication. :P

Mishka said...

Well, Adele she preps the stuff - I grill it :-)

Irene said...

I love grilling, but haven't been able to make the husband get to it yet this season. I think he likes me to cook dinner! ;)

Mrs. M. said...

Irene--Every once in a while it's nice to let someone take over the cooking. I have trouble turning the grill on, myself.

Related Posts with Thumbnails