Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Homemade Ricotta: a Public Service Announcement

Is there anything you can't do with curdled milk and a piece of cheesecloth? Regular readers of this blog know about my relentless love of tvorog--making it, eating it and baking with it. I'm no less excited about making homemade ricotta. Granted, I've only tried this recipe once, but I can tell you that you should really be making ricotta if you aren't doing so already.

Ricotta is even easier to make than tvorog. Bring milk and cream to a boil; add lemon juice; reduce the heat and stir for a couple of minutes until the milk curdles. My only qualm is that half a gallon of milk barely yields two cups of ricotta and, unlike tvorog, ricotta keeps only for two days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who knew you could make your own ricotta?! Is it really that much better than store-bought?

Mrs. M. said...

Rebecca,
It's really rich and creamy on the first day. I made it with 1% milk and I bet it would be much better with whole milk.

Maybe I was a little overexcited when I wrote this post, but I think it's worth making at least once.

Related Posts with Thumbnails